Thursday, October 24, 2013

Round 2, the rest

About 8:00 on Saturday morning I finally dragged myself out of bed and got going.  It was a pretty lazy morning, I snuggled with Shad for a little bit and we watched his ipad.  The nurse came in and started his next chemo about 11:00.  He started feeling yucky a lot sooner this time around, and didn't eat much for days 2-7.  Once his chemo was done for the day grandma and grandpa worked on getting him to eat something and let me take a little nap.  Once he finally ate a few bites we were able to go out and play for a little bit.  There was another little boy there who definitely wanted to be all up in our business.  I like kids, but this one rubbed me the wrong way.  He was a bit annoying and kind of rude.  His mom wasn't feeling well, so she was resting in the room.  Anyway, he and Shad played for a while before we all got sick of him and headed back into the room.  We must not have done anything too exciting the rest of the day because I don't have any pictures, and I don't recall anything else.




I made this for Shad, and he thought it was pretty awesome!
Sunday Shad woke up excited because daddy was coming back that day.  Grandma and grandpa once again worked on getting him to eat something while I took a shower and got dressed.  They offered item after item and he continuously refused.  Finally grandpa offered bologna off of the sandwich he had brought for lunch.  Shad perked up and agreed to it.  He ate two slices of bologna before we ran out.  All I know if that I was nauseous, bologna is not what I would pick to eat.  Chemo started again at 11:00 and went for 2 hours.  After chemo I began trying to get Shad to get dressed and go for a walk or go out and play but he wasn't too interested.  Finally he decided that he would walk downstairs to watch for daddy once he was on his way.  When we got back from that I realized that my military id which had been in my pocket no longer was.  Trevor and I went in search of it, and to ask at the main desk if anyone had turned it in.  Luckily someone had turned it in to security, so that was good.  We went back upstairs, Shad did a puzzle, and then we played Disney Uno.  After that we went back in the room and got ready for dinner.  I think you can tell from these pictures that Shad is not feeling well, he definitely was not his usual self.  Prior to going home the nurse let us know someone was going to be leaving one of the bigger rooms the next day and we should be able to move over there.  We were pretty excited about that.  I helped get Shad in bed, and then I went home with my parents to sleep for the night while Trevor stayed with Shad.

one of the nurses gave him a coloring book with tattoos
you can tell he is not feeling too great




a birthday present from grandma doggies brought out his smile

as did playing legos with daddy
Monday my mom, dad and I went back to the hospital.  Trevor let us know that Shad had thrown up a little bit that morning.  I was happy to see that we had one of our favorite nurses, and she had decorated Shad's board really cute.  Once Shad's chemo started my mom and I went to run some errands.  I had decided to make some hats for some people we had met at the hospital, their 2 year old had been diagnosed with leukemia the week before, and so I needed to get some yarn for that.  We were also looking for some fabric for a project I am conjuring up in my mind.  I couldn't find what I wanted for that, we will see if ever happens...  We picked up some lunch on the way back to the hospital.  While we were gone the other room had opened up, so Trevor and my dad had moved everything over, and got the new room all set up.  We ate lunch, played Headbandz, and then Shad played on his ipad for awhile.  He wasn't feeling very good, but we wanted him to get out of bed for a bit so we said we should get dressed and go for a walk.  He flat out refused multiple times.  Finally, I asked if he didn't want to for a walk, or if he didn't want to get dressed.  He said he didn't want to get dressed, so I told him he could go in his pjs.  He was more than happy to go after that.  We went up to the top floor and watched for airplanes for awhile, and then we went down to the main floor, walked around outside a little and then went back to his room.  That pretty much wore him out, so he got in bed and hung out there the rest of the evening.







Tuesday Trevor had duty so he had to go to work.  He left bright and early, luckily Shad and I were able to sleep longer.  Shad was feeling really yucky, but he was excited because his friend Janae was coming for chemo that day, and he had a gift to give her.  He just wanted me to snuggle him in bed for awhile while we watched a movie.  When grandma came she and he snuggled in bed for a bit.  While Shad had chemo grandma and grandpa put up the decorations that people from grandpa's work had made and sent for Shad.  He thought they were pretty awesome.  After chemo Shad got dressed so he could walk down to Janae's room and give her the gift he got for her.  (sidenote: Janae loves One Direction and has several posters that she hangs in her hospital room, Shad has seen them in the past.  When we saw some One Direction things at Wal-mart he got very excited and said, "look mom, it's Janae's boys!"  We bought her a little stationary kit that had pictures of them.  Later we saw a One Direction bear at Build a Bear, so we had to buy that for her as well.)  As he was getting dressed he threw up some more, but he wasn't going to let that deter him from going to see her.  We walked down, and he gave her the present.  She was very excited, as we had hoped.  Her and Shad hung out for a bit watching Star Wars on the ipad, and then decorating with her new One Direction stuff.  After a bit Shad started looking a little worse for wear, so we headed back to our room.  Shad rested on the bed, threw up the apple he had eaten, and then just felt yucky.  He threw up again, and so his nurse gave him some benadryl which knocked him out.








Wednesday Shad seemed to be feeling a little better in the morning.  He played with grandpa for a while throwing his stuffed animals back and forth.  After he got tired of that he and daddy took turns playing games on the ipad, and watching movies.  We also played some more Headbandz (I think we played this at least once a day).  We were all happy when the chemo was finished...done with round 2.  That afternoon my mom and I went to the temple, it was really nice, and exactly what I needed.  We came back and I finished working on my project I had started on Monday.  Luckily I was able to finish late that night!  There was a little bit of throwing up this day as well.




Thursday Shad seemed to be feeling much better.  He woke up and drew some pictures for Janae.  The chemo makes her really sick, and she was feeling pretty down.  He was bouncing around, we were able to unhook him from the fluids and take out the needle a little while before we left.  We packed all of our stuff up and waited for the magic time.  They didn't want him to have the Neulasta until that evening, so I agreed to do the shot at home.  We walked down to Janae's room and Shad gave her the pictures he had drawn.  It is great to watch both of them light up when they see each other.  I wrapped up the hats that I had made, and found a card that could go with them.  I hope they helped brighten that families day a little bit.  I can not imagine living at the hospital for weeks on end with a two year old and a 3 month old.  Finally it was time to go home, so we gathered our stuff and headed out.  Shad had been doing well that morning so we weren't too worried, but about halfway home he started looking a little ill.  We asked if he was ok and he said yes, but a few minutes later he threw up.  Luckily there was a towel sitting next to him, and I was able to pull that over on him so he and the car seat stayed pretty clean.  We got home and relaxed and enjoyed being home.  Shad threw up again a little bit later that night.  We put him to bed and hoped he would be able to sleep it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment